Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Rainy morning at the British Museum


Yesterday morning Katie and I popped into the British Museum on our way to the office (it is, literally, on the way to the office, which is pretty great). 



Love the entrance hall!




I used to go to the British Museum a lot when I was on a fellowship at Cambridge and would escape to London on the weekend, so I enjoyed showing Katie some of my old favorites.



I'm a sucker for Assyrians.



The lion hunting scenes are really impressive, especially when you consider that they're almost 3,000 years old. If you're interested there's more info on them here.




This lion is having a rough time. You can tell we've been away from home for too long because Katie and I both started hardcore missing our cats in this exhibit.


My iPhone camera doesn't do so well with low light, but you can still sort of tell that the detail on the upper left lion is pretty incredible.


Then, on to the Parthenon marbles!
A couple of highlights:

Cats are becoming a theme here

This foot is pretty amazing



I leave you with possibly my all-time favorite little guys, the Lewis Chessmen




No comments:

Post a Comment