Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The long and winding road...

...that leads to my dorm! (Will try not to make too many Beatles references while here, though I have picked up the unfortunate habit of occasionally talking to myself out loud in public about mundane things in a British accent.)  
So... today it was lovely and sunny for the first time in days, so I took some pictures of my walk home from the NYU in London center (centre). Walk with me!



NYU in London is in Bedford Square, in the middle of Bloomsbury, basically surrounded by a bunch of universities, most notably the University of London. This garden is theirs! But Katie and I had lunch there once and nobody noticed. Looking at the garden from this vantage point, if you were to turn your head to the left, you'd be staring at the British Museum. I still haven't gone (this time around, have been a few times previously) but our academic advisor recommended popping in whenever we have writer's block. Since I start this chapter in earnest next week, we'll see how many times I end up dropping in!



Directly behind you while looking at the garden is this guy. The University of London's Senate House Library, through which I walk every morning/afternoon as a shortcut to Russell Square. It looks more like a prison than a library, as they sometimes do, and has quite the history. It was used by the Ministry of Information during World War II, and legend has it that Orwell based 1984's Ministry of Truth on this building as well (not hard to imagine). Supposedly Hitler hand-picked it to be his headquarters once he conquered London, which is unsurprising given the...particular...1930s look it has. Cut through the ground floor and you're on Russell Square!



This is the gorgeous Hotel Russell. Built in 1898, the restaurant was designed by the same architect as the Titanic's dining room, so apparently they look alike. I haven't been inside, not sure if they'd let me in.


Walking through Russell Square past the fancy Brunswick Centre mall, you come to a little park with a long and winding path (see above) which eventually leads, past some ballfields, to my door! (photo forthcoming)



No comments:

Post a Comment